Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Help from Harry Potter

"Do not pity the dead, Harry, pity the living. Above all, pity those who live without love." 
This quote by Dumbledore in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is amazing advice from an amazing person.  I can use it in my life a lot.  I always find myself miserable and sad for the people who die in disasters, tragedies, etc., when really, I should realize that they are happy and in a better place.  The people I should pity are their families, or others who "live without love." When you think of empty shells, lying in their grave, and then picture their family, what is more sad? The person is not in the grave, their body is, but their families are left behind.  That's the truly sad part.  And yes, even though the way they died, their age, or anything else is sad, the worst parts are the family and friends left behind.  That's what we really need to pity.
The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.  This quote is also from The Deathly Hallows, but I think it's phenomenal.  It was engraved on James and Lily Potter's tombstone in Godric's Hallow after they were murdered by Voldemort.  Even though this is a fictional death, and a fictional grave marker in a made up hamlet, this quote holds true.  I believe that we will live again after we die, and death really will be destroyed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment