Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Out of the Ordinary?

My life during the school year is always crazy, though not that interesting.  It's not interesting because I do homework all the time so I never do anything else....  But hey, this is life, right? However this week, I broke my normal pattern of waking up at 6:30, going to school, possibly going to play rehearsals when school get out, and then staying up till I need to go to sleep doing homework.  
Me and my family went to St. George (I know, what crazy change).  
However, I was able to feel what it is to really relax again and realize a lot.  
My high school experiences have helped me realize I need to go to another school, but taking this time was really cleansing.  For once I was able to sit, actually sit, without waiting for the guillotine to fall.  I had nothing to do, which was amazing.  True, I spent the majority of first day reading for Socratic, but that night and the following three days were awesome.
My problem is that I have this strict and weird "work before play" mindset. I know but always fail to head is that when I work all day, there's no more time to "play." That's what made me spend my entire day reading an over-the-top book assignment and spending the three-hour car ride doing future-assignments in Chemistry that I would miss while I was gone.  The car ride down was horrible because it wasn't fun at all and acids and bases were very hard to wrap my mind around.  That was why I stayed up till 2 a.m. trying to read my Socratic book for school.
I get annoyed a lot (I'm not exaggerating) at teachers who assign inordinate amounts of homework and don't follow the rules of keeping core class homework within 30 minutes, etc.  But, I feel like I have some sort of right to this.  I'll use blogging for an example.  When I was ten, I created a blog, that would be updated for the next three years. It was great; it was fun, enjoyable, and I always looked forward to getting comments for my sometimes many-times-a-day posts. True, I sort of grew out of it, but one reason I stopped posting was because...

there was simply no time.

I started eighth grade at this school, and time for me vanished immediately.  Because I had no time, posts only showed up after several months.  My amount of time hasn't changed.  As I said before, after being here for three years now, it's time for me to leave.
But, my lack of blog posts, creative projects, happiness, etc. isn't just the school's fault, it's also mine.  My "work before play" mindset is what also led to all of this.  If I could just put chemistry, geometry, Socratic away for once, I could have some (but I do mean some) free time.  Things would be a lot different.
I have a lot to offer the world.  I really feel like I was born to do more than just slave over sky-high amounts of homework every day of my life.  The two things stopping me from doing what I need to do are over-the-top homework and my own mindset.  If I can get to a place where I can make both of these manageable I know my life will be a lot better and I will be able to do what I was born to do, as well as be a lot more happy.  Please don't think I'm saying "I'm not going to do homework anymore because it's getting in the way of my 'mission.'" I'm not, I'm totally going to to my homework still.  I'm just saying I need to balance my life out better.

No comments:

Post a Comment